This church was founded in the 1820s. The deed for the site was secured on March 11, 1828 for $1.00. This 800 square-foot church on Fleet Street apparently burned during the Civil War.
In 1881, Rufus K. Hearn was allowed to build on the vacant lot, which was used for The Free Will Baptist Press for eight years.
In 1892, services were held in the home of Bryce Anderson on upper Pollouck Street.
Between 1893 and 1899, the name of the church was changed from New Bern Free Will Baptist Church to Saint Mary’s Free Will Baptist Church.
In 1909, the old wooden church was razed to construct a new building, which was completed in 1913. The church building pictured was used from 1913-1954. In 1954, the church pictured was razed to make way for the present Georgian Colonial structure.