Garner Free Will Baptist Church

On December 16, 1959, The First Free Will Baptist Church (First Church) in Raleigh, North Carolina voted to establish a mission in Garner and made a request that the Cape Fear Conference co-sponsor the project. On January 1, 1960, the trustees of the First Church and the trustees of the Cape Fear Conference jointly executed a contract to purchase the Methodist Church property. On Sunday, January 17, 1960, the first service was conducted in Garner with Rev. Chester Phillips, Chairman of the Board of Missions, preaching the first sermon. Rev. Herman L. Hersey was selected by the Mission Board to temporarily supervise the Mission. In March 1960, a Sunday School was organized. Rev. R. Eugene Waddell accepted the call to pastor the Mission on April, 17, 1960. The Mission was organized into the Garner Free Will Baptist Church with 43 charter members on September 1, 1960.