First Free Will Baptist Church

This church was formally established in 1889 and worshipped in the courthouse in 1899. It joined the Eastern Conference by 1900, reporting twenty-eight members. The church building (pictured top left) was built in 1902 at the corner of Tiffany and Chestnut.

This building served the congregation until 1942 when a new building (pictured top right) was purchased from the Presbyterians. This building was located on Independence Street. An educational building, Sunday School rooms, a kitchen, and fellowship room were added. Rooms were added to the sanctuary. The church purchased a Hammond Organ in 1947.

Then, the church purchased for $50,000 a building which had been formerly used by the First Presbyterian Church of Kinston (pictured below) which was located on Lenoir Avenue and College Street. The congregation held its first service in this building on Sunday, November 17, 1957. The church purchased the Webb property at 312 West Lenoir Avenue, and used it for Sunday School rooms and other meetings for several years. That building was razed when it was decided that the space would be more useful as a parking lot and playground area. A Fellowship Hall was built in 1988. A ramp was added in 1994.

In 2007, the congregation moved to a new building on Sussex Drive.