This church had its first services in a house on Simmons Street in 1908. In 1910, the first church was built on the corner of Lionel and Simmons Streets on land donated by The Reverend Jake Hill. The church purchased the lot adjoining the church in 1922. Two Sunday School rooms were added on the back of the church building in 1923. It is thought that these were the first Sunday School rooms ever to be built in a Free Will Baptist Church in North Carolina. More Sunday School rooms were built beside the church building. Today, these rooms remain on the southwest corner of Simmons and Lionel Streets as a doctor's office. By 1937, a brick veneer was completed to the church building and Sunday School rooms. A parsonage, located at 713 Simmons Street was purchased in 1942. In 1954, the sanctuary burned to the ground.
The William Street school building was used before moving into the educational building of the old Presbyterian church, which is now the home of the Historical Society.
In 1955, the church bought the B.G. Thompson property on Ash Street (pictured), which was remodeled from a private home into a church. In 1964, ground was broken for a new sanctuary. The congregation dedicated and moved to this church on New Year's Day 1967. In June of 1968, the congregation purchased the property, on the corner of Leslie and Mulberry next to the church, for a parking lot. The sanctuary side windows were installed in 1975. In 1985, the Thompson Building was destroyed. Following the demolition, the church built an educational building and fellowship hall in 1989.
In remembrance of their parents, the children of Roy and Ola Mae Bailey donated the bell tower in 1992. The tower holds the church bell from the original church building that burned in 1954. The bell tower stands outside the building in the front of the still existing B. G. Thompson Carriage House.