Eureka College 1925-1929

Eureka College Administrative Building

 

Students

Eureka College Students

 

First Row (bottom)

1. Bessie Tripp
2. W.H. Oliver, teacher
3. Elizabeth Edwards
4. T.H. Bowen (Deceased)
5. Christian Moore
6. J.R. Davidson
7. Allie Fair Hart
8. Ethel Shore, teacher

Second Row

1. S.T. Shutes
2. Ruth May
3. I.J. Blackwelder
4. Ethel Little
5. J.D. Vernelson
6. Glenn McGlohon
7. Herschel Oliver
8. R.E. Tripp, teacher

Third Row

1. Otis Barrow
2. E.C. Chamblee
3. Charlie Haley
4. K.V. Shutes
5. Louis Holliday
6. H.J. Brickhouse
7. W.R. Williams
8. T.B. Mellette

 

Faculty

Eureka Faculty 1927

Back Row: Henry Oliver, Principal
                Robert Tripp
                T. B. Mellette

Front Row: Sarah Brown Braxton
Sarah Wood
Thelma Moody

Presidents

R.B. Spencer--1925-1928
L.R. Ennis--1928-1929

Catalog

Catalogue of First Session, 1926-27

Catalogue pt. 1

Catalogue pt. 2

Catalogue list pt. 3

Eureka Catalogue - Faculty

Eureka Catalogue - Trustees

According to board action in the summer of l925, a decision was made to begin offering the first year of college while continuing to offer a four-year high school curriculum. Seminary facilities were to be used until the building on the new campus was completed. These plans were announced in the Free Will Baptist and prospective students were asked to enroll at the Seminary with the understanding that they would be able to begin regular college studies there upon completion of high school.

The first session catalog was labeled 1926-1927 and according to catalog, sessions started Sept. 8, 1926 and Jan. 3, 1927. This catalog could not have been published in 1925 because it includes a paragraph on the choosing of the Eureka name sometime after Feb. 10, 1926. The catalog cover also bears the name Eureka College. The second session/year catalog was also labeled "Second Session, 1926-1927" with starting dates of Sept. 6, 1927 and Jan. 3, 1928. Obviously, the cover dates should have been 1927-1928. We have no later catalogs and there may not have been any others since the college was experiencing grave financial problems. In Jan. 1929 the operation of the high school department was suspended, but ministerial instruction was taught by Professor Ennis at no cost to the school. The program closed shortly thereafter and the school closed for good.--Gary Fenton Barefoot, Curator, Free Will Baptist Historical Society.

According to board action in the summer of l925, a decision was made to begin offering the first year of college while continuing to offer a four-year high school curriculum. Seminary facilities were to be used until the building on the new campus was completed. These plans were announced in the Free Will Baptist and prospective students were asked to enroll at the Seminary with the understanding that they would be able to begin regular college studies there upon completion of high school.

The first session catalog was labeled 1926-1927 and according to catalog, sessions started Sept. 8, 1926 and Jan. 3, 1927. This catalog could not have been published in 1925 because it includes a paragraph on the choosing of the Eureka name sometime after Feb. 10, 1926. The catalog cover also bears the name Eureka College. The second session/year catalog was also labeled "Second Session, 1926-1927" with starting dates of Sept. 6, 1927 and Jan. 3, 1928. Obviously, the cover dates should have been 1927-1928. We have no later catalogs and there may not have been any others since the college was experiencing grave financial problems. In Jan.1929 the operation of the high school department was suspended in January of 1929, but ministerial instruction was taught by Professor Ennis at no cost to the school. The program closed shortly thereafter and the school closed for good.

--Gary Fenton Barefoot, Curator, Free Will Baptist Historical Collection.

 

History

  • Free Will Baptists founded the Free Will Baptist Theological Seminary in 1896 in Ayden, N.C. to train ministers. A charter was granted by the state of North Carolina to the Free Will Baptist Seminary and was later referred to as Ayden Seminary or as the Free Will Baptist Seminary at Ayden.
  • The first pupil enrolled in 1898.
  • In February 1926, the Board of Trustees gave a new name to the institution: Eureka College.
  • The Seminary closed in 1929. The property was offered to the North Carolina State Convention to be used as a home of the Free Will Baptist Orphanage and Bible School.
  • On November 4, 1931, the new main building of the Eureka College was destroyed by fire.

A History of Ayden Seminary and Eureka College by Dr. Michael Pelt.

Not until 1951 did North Carolina Free Baptists take steps to open a new institution of higher education, which has become known as University of Mount Olive.

This article was written by Dr. Michael R. Pelt. We wish to thank him for giving his permission to use it.

Special Educational Edition of The Free Will Baptist, Dec. 15, 1926