History of the University of Mount Olive

Sponsored by the Convention of Original Free Will Baptists, the University of Mount Olive has long been an educational institution shaped by its Christian heritage. Although we have grown and evolved over the years, our lasting emphasis on personalized, values-based learning within the liberal arts tradition has put the University of Mount Olive on the map as one of the leading private colleges in North Carolina for more than half a century.

University of Mount Olive Timeline

 

November 27, 1951    - Charter issued by the State of North 
                                       Carolina

September 22, 1952   - Mount Allen Junior College opened at 
                                       Cragmont Assembly 
                                       (Lloyd Vernon, president)

September 17, 1953   - Convention of Original FWB authorized 
                                       purchase of Mount Olive Elementary School
                                       building and relocation of College

        August 2, 1954   - W. Burkette Raper became president

  September 9, 1954   - First collegiate year. College opened in
                                       Mount Olive with twenty-two students

September 14, 1955   - Convention of Original Free Will Baptists
                                       authorized name change to Mount Olive
                                       Junior College

   November 6, 1958   - State accreditation attained

   December 1, 1960   - Accreditation granted by the Southern 
                                       Association of Colleges and Schools

September 27, 1965   - Henderson Building and Women’s 
                                       Residence Hall Complex occupied

           August, 1968   - Moye Library completed

     September, 1970   - Grantham Hall completed

     September, 1970   - Convention of Original Free Will Baptists
                                       authorized name change to Mount Olive
                                       College
        
        August 3, 1974   - Rodgers Chapel dedicated

September 12, 1979   - Convention of Original Free Will Baptists 
                                       authorized four-year program

           April 19, 1980   - Scarborough Field dedicated

       January 7, 1984   - Grand Opening of College Hall 
                                       (now Kornegay Arena)

          October, 1985   - College apartments completed

           May 10, 1986   - First Baccalaureate degrees awarded

   December 9, 1986   - Senior college accreditation granted by
                                       the Southern Association of Colleges
                                       and Schools

           August, 1991   - Poole Administration Building completed

          April 18, 1993   - Grand Opening of the Lois K. Murphy 
                                       Regional Center

   November 2, 1993   - Grand Opening of Mount Olive College
                                       at New Bern

     January 31, 1995   - J. William Byrd, Ph.D., assumed the duties
                                       of third president of Mount Olive
                                       College                          

September 28, 1995   - Galloway Music Library dedicated

       October 8, 1995   - Jesse R. Laughinghouse Hall dedicated

     October 30, 1995   - Grand Opening of Mount Olive College
                                       at Wilmington

       October 1, 1997   - Grand Opening of Mount Olive College
                                       at Research Triangle Park

 November 20, 1999   - Alumni Cross Walk dedicated

             May 6, 2000   - Moore-Williams Fieldhouse dedicated

        March 25, 2001   - Nancy Chapman Cassell Softball Field 
                                       dedicated

  September 4, 2001   - King Hall dedicated

             May 7, 2002   - John Neal Walker Tennis Center dedicated

             May 7, 2002   - Agribusiness Center ribbon cutting

September 29, 2002   - Carillon in Rodgers Chapel dedicated

   November 8, 2003   - Milton M. Lownes, Jr., M.D. Student Health
                                       Center dedicated

       August 30, 2005   - George and Annie Dail Kornegay Arena
                                        (formerly College Hall) dedicated

       October 3, 2005   - Grand Opening of Mount Olive College
                                       at Washington

     October 28, 2006   - Pope Wellness Center dedicated

 November 18, 2006   - W. Burkette and Rose M. Raper Hall
                                       dedicated

      August 24, 2007   - Ray and Chris Amon Field dedicated

 November 17, 2007   - Lois G. Britt Agribusiness Center dedicated

           May 31, 2008   - NCAA Division II National Champions -
                                      Baseball

             July 1, 2009   - Philip P. Kerstetter, Ph. D., assumed the 
                                      duties of fourth president of Mount Olive
                                      College

      August 12, 2009   - Grand Opening of Mount Olive College
                                       at Jacksonville

September 12, 2009   - Annie Mae Whitfield and Everett Edwin
                                       Herring Residence Halls dedicated

 November 27, 2012   - The J. William and Marvis E. “Marcy” Byrd 
                                       Apartment Complex and Assembly Hall 
                                       dedicated

        January 1, 2014 -  Mount Olive College changes name to the 
                                       University of Mount Oilve